Kolache Factory Awarded Prestigious Honor by Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
HOUSTON, Tx. – (August 7, 2018) – Houston-based Kolache Factory and its Chief Operating Officer Dawn Nielsen have earned top awards from the Texas Gulf Coast chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) for contributions and dedication to fighting blood cancer. Over the past decade, the bakery-café franchise has raised close to half a million dollars for the organization. It’s a personal crusade for Nielsen, who lost her grandmother to multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer, and her mom to lung and brain cancer.
Nielsen won the Chairman’s Special Recognition Award. The Kolache Factory, the unique bakery-café franchise Nielsen’s parents founded, was awarded the Partners Against Blood Cancer Silver Level Award. The awards were presented at the chapter’s 2018 Light The Night Kick-Off before family, friends and dozens of Houston-based corporate sponsors.
“I am honored and humbled to receive these awards in honor of two beloved women who I lost,” says Nielsen, who has worked at the Kolache Factory since her parents started it with one Houston store back in 1982. “I miss my mother and grandmother’s guidance and love and only wish I could have done more while they were still here. I urge people to give because donations go to fund blood cancer research and treatments for patients who are suffering from all forms of blood cancer.”
This is the Kolache Factory’s thirteenth year of involvement with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, raising 460 thousand dollars with hopes of raising half a million dollars by year’s end. The company contributes by asking customers and employees to donate. Plus, it sponsors the group’s annual Light The Night Walk, a glowing tribute with a festival and a walk with lanterns, to honor patients, survivors and those who have died from blood cancer.
“Dawn is passionate and dedicated and has been instrumental to our growth over the past decade,” says Ashlee Valavala, senior campaign manager of the Texas Gulf Coast chapter of the LLS. “With her personal and corporate contributions, she has taken the darkest moments of her family’s life and brought light to all the patients who struggle with and survive this disease.”
The awards were presented August 9 at the Light The Night Kick Off event at the Royal Sonesta Hotel at 2222 West Loop South in Houston.
About the Kolache Factory
Kolache Factory was founded in 1982 in Houston, Texas, by John and Jerri Banks, who identified a need for a fresh, high-quality breakfast that could be eaten “on the run.” The Banks’ encouraged consumers to try the high-quality, fresh pastries filled with fruits, meat and cheeses and soon they were in high demand for business meetings, family breakfasts, on-the-go lunches and afternoon snacks. Kolache Factory has been recognized as one of the Top 5 Drive-Thrus in America by Food Network, one of the fastest growing companies in Houston and one of the top 50 food service bakeries in the United States by Modern Baking magazine. In addition, Franchise Times magazine recently named Kolache Factory one of the 300 biggest brands in franchising by worldwide sales in 2017. In addition, Entrepreneur magazine named it among the top 200 food-based franchises in 2017. Kolache Factory is privately owned and operated and headquartered in Katy, Texas. For more information please visit http://www.kolachefactory.com.
- Kolache Factory Challenge 5K Returns to Houston March 9th 15-Feb-2019
- Kolache Factory Ranked a Top Franchise in Entrepreneur’s 40th Annual Franchise 500 18-Jan-2019
- Kolache Factory Gives Away Free Breakfast for a Year at Magnolia Grand Opening 16-Nov-2018
- Free Breakfast for Veterans and Active Military 01-Nov-2018
- Kolache Factory Expands into Dallas County 05-Oct-2018
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It: FREE Coffee at Kolache Factory THIS Saturday! 26-Sep-2018
- Kolache Factory Awarded Prestigious Honor by Leukemia & Lymphoma Society 09-Aug-2018
- Local Foodie Wins National ‘Create a New Kolache’ Contest! 09-Aug-2018
- Local “Create a New Kolache” Contest 09-Aug-2018
- Kolache Factory Announces Opening of New Bakery-Café in Greenville 24-Oct-2017
- Texas-Based Kolache Factory Celebrates its 35th Anniversary with 35% Off All Items Promotion* 22-Aug-2017
- Kolache Factory Named A Top Food Franchise By Entrepreneur Magazine 06-Jun-2017
- Houston Bakery Creates National Craving for Czech-Inspired Pastries 28-Oct-2015
- Kolache Factory is thrilled to announce our multi-unit expansion in several cities across the nation 07-Apr-2015
- Houston Press: Kolache Factory Takes on Starbucks With Katz 13-Nov-2013
- Kolache Factory Offers Every Houstonian A Free Kolache 11-Jul-2013
- UPDATED: New Store in Lakewood // Lakewood CO Closes Shop 27-Jun-2013
- More Locations Added to Online Ordering 19-Jan-2013
- New Kolache Factory Opens in Plano, TX 19-Jan-2013
- Kolache Factory: East European indulgence with an American twist 14-Mar-2013
Mon - Sat 6AM to 2PM
Sunday - 7AM to 2PM
Some locations may open earlier.Holidays
Closed Christmas Day
New Year’s Day - 7am-2pm